Thursday, January 12, 2006

It's a hell of a life, but it's somebody's life.

Last night by a REALLY random series of events, I got to go to the Ryman show. Patty Griffin, Emmylou Harris and Paula Cole. oh and Mindy Smith was there too. jokes. kinda. Anyway, it was a good time. Highlights: Patty sang a lot of amazing new stuff. I'm really looking forward to the next record. I hear they're working on one as I type. Emmylou was great and took great advantage to using all the voices she had on the stage with her and sang a lot of really great songs. Imagine that. They did a sort of "in the round (though it never is actually round)" setup. Paula was really sweet and did a great job. There were a few moments when she wasn't really singing out that fumbled, but you felt like you were rooting for her to come on through.... and she did. One of my favorite moments of the evening was what I fear will become a "you had to be there" moment. Which is sad, but who knows... Paula played "Feelin' Love" and introduced it by saying, "so, had just gotten married and was very much in love and wrote this...um... well, nasty little sex song. For those of you who who saw "City of Angels", it's the song playing as he's watching her take a bath (before his "fall"). I've always dug the song and was really excited to hear it live. She gave such a great performance with much "hootin' and hollerin'" (as they say) from the crowd... myself included. After the song ended, there was a long pause and Patty (who was next in the round) finally said, "well, paula, i'm not really sure where to go after that.... I mean, I know where I wanna go... but I don't guess i can right now." (insert copious amounts of laughter) Patty: "Anyway, back to the dogs.... well, i guess that was kinda about some doggy things...." (roaring laughter).... "no no. ok. back to the dogs and the cats... well, i guess it was about cats too." I mean, Patty Griffin. unreal. I was laughing with maybe a tear or two emmerging and look over and the guy next to me has not cracked a smile the entire time. awkward! Hm. other highlights...

-The amusing introduction of everyone's "wing men". Emmylou introduced "two of her dearest friends" singing/playing (an unamed acoustic guitar running through a horrendously 80s chorus pedal...what?). Then Mindy introduced her "best friend in the world who I've known and played with for x years" Lex Price. Next, Paula introduced her REALLY REALLY "best friend and musical soulmate who i met at Berklee" to play drums (his name escapes me, but was really great). Then Patty "brought out" Doug Lancio, who had already snuck on stage and was seated behind her. It was a really funny round of "No. MY best friend in the world is playing with me and we've known each other longer."

The writing of this blog has been interrupted now 4 times. So, i'm taking my cue. peace. love. and moses.

No comments: