Tuesday, March 14, 2006

C.C. Bloom and spring. These are a few of my favorite things.

I feel bombarded with things lately that i'm supposed to use to make people think i'm cool. In a way, i suppose, this has a lot to do with the intimacy/technology relationship (see the blog about blogging). Things like LastFM which tracks your plays in itunes (if you choose this platform) and builds a detailed profile of each user's musical taste, showing their favorite artists and songs on a customizable profile webpage. It shows your most played artists, most played songs by week and overall. I can't say that mine gets many hits as there are two people who know about it, but i get this feeling every time I go to someone else's... or my own. I get the sinking feeling that the user's awareness or self-consciousness of this public display often outweighs that of others' interest. I mean, it's cool. it's really cool. i like going to people's. i like going to mine. but, i know multiple friends who manipulate their listenings so they'll... well, so they'll look cooler. The same principle applies for me with profile songs on myspace. i just can't do it. b/c i know i would be thinking about who thinks the song is lame... or something to that effect. And now away (and "available" if you have a mac) messages on instant messenger hold the same power. "Working at Rolling Stone with Joey Lawrence" "recording yanni at Peter Gabriel's 'Real World' studio". I'm just sayin. there's a lot to live up to there. But, don't start getting all paranoid about your away messages, friends. Please.

We are inherently masters at this craft of 'cool' (or at least we long to be). In saying all of the above, know that the "understood you" of the thought is that we (myself especially) can do this with anything. Houses, colloquialisms, sunglasses, DVD collections... Everything. I feel confident that there are many many people who can be good stewards of this technology, I'm just probably not one of them.

In other news, AMC has been a channel after my own heart today. Two of my favorite movies are "Beaches" and "Big". (A funny addition after that last little bit about being cool.) apparently this is 80s week at AMC and they're showing Beaches today and Big on Sunday. right on, amc. right on. you know, i've never thought about it until just now, but it's kinda weird that they call it "Beaches". I mean, it starts on a beach and ends on a beach, but i'm just sayin. There's a lot of in between time where a lot of things were said that might inspire a title. i don't know. i'm not sayin. i'm just sayin.



The weather has been so amazing lately. It completely changes my outlook. As a result, I cleaned the house, bought a ton of fresh produce and went on a long walk with friends and pups.... aaaand the moon was crazy awesome. Crazy Horse. Harvest Moon. gosh i love neil young.

No comments: