Friday, March 17, 2006

excuse me, but your Johari window is open.

Today’s one of those days where I just think, “gosh. I love my job(s).” I had two shoots back to back at the studio, both of which were for people I had never met but who were really really great through the whole process. I had quite a bit of down time between things where I read some more on Jayber Crowe, listened to good music and played with two of my favorite puppies. It’s fun to have friends assist me. On work like I did today, I must admit, it’s mainly for the company (and to prevent as much awkwardness as possible with new people.)

Despite popular belief, I’m crazy shy around new people. I think in formidable years, I was in structured environments like the academy and at the camp I worked at, where you forced to suck it up. If you’re on staff or a counselor, especially, there’s not really an option to be shy around 15 new kids every week. You basically had an afternoon to make everyone feel comfortable and a week to love them. It was a real challenge for me, though I can’t remember every talking to anyone about it then. But, I’m really thankful for those years. I still feel that tension, though. (Introvert trying to be an extrovert enough where eventually you’re both) that was confusing enough.

I’ve always been fascinated by Johari windows. Or similar concepts/tools. - The idea that there are things about a person that fall into the following four “quadrants”:


a) There are characteristics or behaviors that are known only to the self, but that people may never see or understand,
b) There are things about the person that both the self and others know.
c) There are characteristics that the person possesses that they are unaware of, but are known to others
d) There are behaviors or motives, which were not recognized by anyone participating. This may be because they do not apply, or because there is collective ignorance of the existence of that trait.

It’s just fascinating to think about. My friend Jason created one. It’s hard to do an online version, and you have to trust that those participating will be honest. Who knows, maybe I’ll get brave and post the link to mine. A good day to all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

NERD!

From Jeff Grant