Thursday, April 06, 2006

way over yonder in a minor key

Gosh, I don't want to work today. I've been so busy lately, I start to feel like I should just get in the car and take a vacation... or at least have a movie marathon with friends who have equally unstructured jobs. I'll take either at this point. A vacation does sound totally sweet, though. I also feel like i have no room to complain. I love my job(s). I do. very much. sooo, maybe i should just suck it up and remember that. done and done.

I always wonder what people listen to on their ipods. there's a myriad of ages and people types at the Y all donning earphones. What gets them through that 30min stairclimb? who knows. Questions for heaven. I've thought about an invention that shows what you're listening to in a thought bubble sort of thing like the thing over the SIMS heads. You could turn it off and on, of course. Until I get a prototype running, we'll just have to wonder.

I realized lately that I have very specific things I listen to in specific situations. By this I mean, if I'm going to clean or mow the lawn, I have a playlist that usually does right by me. This playlist always includes Bonnie Raitt's "Nick of Time".
When my dad would let me mow the lawn, I would take my walkman cassette player and headphones and listen to that record over and over. When I finally got the CD, I would always hear a break where the tape should be flipped. It so fun to know a record so well that you know the keys of all the songs based on the end of the song before it. fun/really nerdy.

For cooking, it has to be old soul stuff, motown, or blues. Ray Charles. mmmm.
Outside on a warm night with friends... it's crazy old jazz records.
Working out.... i mix this one up. radiohead's "ideoteque" is great. but, sometimes i really dig running to Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. There's something about it when "Radio Cure" comes on. Everything around you is moving so quickly, but it makes things feel like a movie somehow... like you're not there. You know that scene in Garden State in the very beginning when he's on the plane in slow motion and everyone's freaking out and he's just staring? Yeah. Like that.

I've been playing guitar lately for this kid... www.myspace.com/dawsonwells I dig his stuff. It's so so fun. It makes me remember how much I love playing...especially in a band with friends. It's made me really long to do it more. sigh.
"it'll all work out"

1 comment:

char said...

p.s. i am in love with that song. (way over yonder in a minor key). i heard it my junior year summer and thus began my long and torrid, on-again-off-again, but now quasi-co-dependent relationship with Wilco.