Thursday, May 18, 2006

into the arms of florida


greetings from the sunshine state. things are well here. That said, I got a sunburn today on the backs of my legs and am currently on some meds to help me to sleep (which if you know me is remarkable...me no likey the meds that much) the conference is going well. Better than I anticipated, actually. That's usually the way things go, though, isn't it? We work things up with so much worry and anticipation that the actual moment seems to pale in comparison. I've been going to a lot of great seminars (and one that i must admit was...how you say.. not so good to the point i got some more reading done in my book. i'm so ashamed.) The main speaker is Brian Habig, author of "The Enduring Community" and former RUF Campus Minister at Vandy. He's done a great job, i think. You can download the podcast for free here http://www.ruf.org/messages/messages.htm

I've basically just been compiling a long list of things i'll have to process through when i get home. As soon as I begin to think through one thing, another seminar will provide me with yet another list of things equally as great, profound and confusing. I'm thinking a lot tonight about the life of a cynic; about being cynical in general. I realize to what great extents I give preference to my (or others') cynical nature over the naive nature of someone else. What a great prideful wall from which I hope to fall someday. There's so much to think through about what makes us cynical and, what seems currently daunting, how one even begins to stave off cynicism. It's so hard to appropriate one's knowledge of God. The Christian too often knows what to do, but has neither the courage nor the desire to put our theology into action.

A rather backhanded "truth to action" learned this week has been in relation to music. I'm down here getting to help out with some accordion and mandolin in worship. Recently moving from playing these things every other/every day to now playing when i remember or someone asks me to play has taken its toll. Which brings me to my learned truth moving me to action. Col. 3:23 Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men.
I do this poorly. That's ok. It's been done perfectly on my behalf, but this moves me to want to do what I do well. I don't know if it's really necessary to flesh all that out here, this may be abit open-ended or vauge, but... i'm ok with that.

I've really been loving being on the beach/in the water, catching up on a lot of reading, getting to know new people and listening to all the great teaching, but I'm looking very forward to coming home, seeing my sweet puppy who i miss very much and seeing/talking to friends who i also miss with my heart. I'll be home soon.

No comments: