Saturday, June 07, 2008

crab legs and drinking to the dregs


derek's birthday.

we ended up going to south street. The Cooleys, Allan, Derek, Sandra and I celebrated Derek's birth with seafood and laughs. not a bad way to spend an evening. I got there early and ended up sitting on a bench outside and finished listening to "Eat. Pray. Love." I'm always sad when books end...well...good books. I had to work extra hard on my Catfish to get all the bones out...it was secretly a little fun. It's so fun to have Allan in town. Back to the Webb plantation where Sandra and her neighbor Kari had made homeade butterscotch pie. and by homemade, i mean seriously homemade. made the crust...everything. sooo yummy...and impressive. Played tennis on dw's new Wii. Cason was really getting into it....endlessly entertaining.



As I was working in the yard today, i was thinking about people i know who are amazing cooks like that who seem to have that gift of tending for and creating things things around the house with such great care. It's amazing to watch. Or those friends who are master gardeners... I'm so not that person. I love those things, but they are not a part of my daily life like i see in these people; they're like little holidays that i enjoy when they come my way.

I wonder if that's an age thing. Is that what I'll do when I retire? ... Suddenly have this gift for rose gardens, cooking and housekeeping? I just don't know. Maybe it's not in my gift bag. :) Wait a second. retire? what am i talking about? i can't imagine me having something to retire from. who knows.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Never heard of butterscotch pie, but it sounds amazing.