Wednesday, June 25, 2008

You can't afford the freeway

In Louisville, KY to play WFPK's Waterfront Wednesday with Katie. We got in last night and stayed with Pam & Mike Helton (friends of my family's for too many years to count). They're so generous and it was great to be able to spend some time with them. They cooked a delicious meal and i broke down and finally ate red meat (first time in.....maybe 6 months?)

I got up around 7:30am. I just can't seem to shake the waking early thing lately. Finally went back to sleep and woke up again around 9:15 and guessed that was enough trying to sleep. Of course it's 11 and no one's up yet.

I started reading Godric by Frederick Buechner this morning. I had been wanting to get into Buechner as a lot of literarily credible friends :) have been singing his praises for years. Jason Killingsworth let me borrow his gorgeous hardback of Godric the last time i visited him in Atlanta and I've been so wanting to dive in. Having just read two modern non-fictions (a rarity for me), Godric is making me work. It's kind of nice. I've definitely had to re-read a few passages. it's pretty dense language, but i love it.

Watched a few videos of Aimee Mann & her band this morning. It's interesting how Paul Bryan's voice is such an integral part of her sound now. There's some great footage of her talking about getting signed to a major and the mythology about what that means....how maintaining the shoulder padded 80s look is difficult to do when you're dirt poor and living on $150/week on the road. Don't i know it. the hairspray alone gets me every week.

No comments: